Sunday, July 6, 2008

i'm back

I made it back. Kind of in one piece. I feel sick right now from the Wendy's I ate. I kind of downed it fast at the I-80 Truck Stop. I can say for sure that is a place that I do not fit in at. Ugh. Work tomorrow. I think I will go through and write about what happened while I was gone. I did not touch a computer for 3.5 days. It felt good.

Thursday

Thursday was probably the most fun day out of all of them. I left Iowa City after I got done with my work, and the drive was amazing. It was intriguing. Going East on 80 instead of West. It kind of had this magical aura; like my life is moving in a different direction. I just can't explain it; I don't think there is a way to explain it. I was alone heading East on 80 with some great music playing. The drive was also fun because of the girls that I tagged back and forth with. It was a good time I'll say. Once I got on 74 it kind of toned down until I drove through Peoria. It was a pretty nice drive through the town. Definitely something better to look at than trees. When I got to Matt's I met his dogs, and we went for a ride on one of his dad's new toys. It was fun. The vehicle was a little gator type thing. We drove over the dirt mound a few times, and then we headed out into the farmer's corn field. We went back to a nice secluded area where you could barely hear anything. It was good to be one with nature again. That night we went to one of his friend's house to watch the Morton fireworks. They weren't the greatest, but something to do on a Thursday night. There were also yard games, and Matt and I won most of the Hillbilly Golf that we played. We finally lost on our last round. We then headed back to set off some fireworks, and get a fire going. Matt and I stayed out until 3 AM at the fire just talking. We had a lot to talk about, and it was a good time. I think the highlight of Thursday was the campfire, but it was fun to open my suitcase and find a surprise. I won't embellish on it here, but it was good. I left out a few things here, but there is so much to write about. I don't want to be up all night!

Friday

Friday was the 4th. Matt and I got up and went and shot guns in his yard. I am not a sharpshooter, but there were some girls that drove by that gave a yell. Later Ben and Steve showed up. Ben drove the vette, and then Matt went out for a drive in it, and exchanged it for a ride on Matt's bike. Steve and I shot some hoops while they were out. We then headed up to the "Bridge of Death" in Peoria for the works. A few of his friends (Paul and Mike) came along. The works were pretty good. We got to see them over the city of Peoria skyline. After we got done we headed back for some basketball at Matt's. It was fun. Two of his friends got a little upset that I was playing defense to hard. Oh well. I called all my fouls, and was honest. I kind of just bummed around on offense, but I made some good passes to Matt and Op. I got tired, and they probably got a little more comfortable with my D. I remember in High School and Club Basketball I was always made to guard the opposing team's best player. I was the only one able to stop them; I just would rather play defense since my offense sucks. I'm good at it too. We played 6 games and it ended up being 3-3. We watched Cool Runnings afterwards and had some more conversation. I think this was a really good weekend for me to sort things out. Away from electronics and just having a blast.

Saturday

Saturday was also a very nice day. Matt and I went for a walk in the state/city park that is near his house. It was a good walk. There is a lot of open space in that park, and it is hardly used. There was a mulberry tree, and I had one; 'twas pretty good, but not quite the mulberries that I remember from my childhood. Matt's family had an amazing dinner prepared for us that night. I was really impressed. I am going to write them a "Thank you" note tonight. It will be good to get it mailed out by tomorrow. After dinner it was my turn to go for a ride on Matt's bike. I will probably never own a motorcycle, but I think I needed to experience it. I wore his brother's helmet and a jacket that can protect your skin. Matt said it would save you from having to have skin grafts if you got in an accident. The first part of the ride wasn't too comfortable, but I got settled in. We went 116 mph down the street. The wind was amazing. I felt like I was going to get kicked off the back of the bike each time he shifted gears. It was tits (because you can't motorboat personality). After we got done with our high speed encounter we drove back fairly fast down anoher road towards the West. The picture was amazing. The sun was setting, and it was a great ball of orange. It was mild, and you could stare at it. The farms gave a perfect backdrop, and we drove by an American flag that was stagnant. There was something powerful about feeling all the wind, and seeing the flag just sit there peacefully with the sun as a backdrop. It was almost as beautiful as the Old Capital sunset. I didn't take any pictures this weekend, but I will assure you it was the most fun I've ever had in a long time. Saturday night some of Matt's friends came over, and we just light a huge ass bonefire in his yard. It was pretty large. Ben (not the Ben I know) brought over yard games, and we played those and drank some beer. Matt and I went and set off some bottle rockets while the rest were shooting hoops and chatting. It was fun. I was sore, and dead. After everyone left we chatted for another hour. Matt helped me put some things into perspective. July is going to be action packed. I'm exciting. I'll move onto today now!

Sunday (Today)

Matt and I just kind of hung out for most of the afternoon. His mom was fun to talk to. We chatted about quite a bit of things. I learned a lot about his family this weekend. His brother and a few of his friend's came over since one of their wives was having a baby shower. They all got their cars together and washed them. Matt and I went to Wal-Mart and got some water balloons to fill up and throw at them from the gator like a drive by. His dad drove and we were in the back tossing the balloons. We didn't turn off the hose so we got a little more soaked than they did, but it was a blast just driving around in that thing trying to hit a few of them. I got a little banged up in the back, but I am O.K. I can take a beating. I was a football player, and none of the hits I took today were as bad as half the hits in football. I was kind of surprised that my face slamming into the roll cage didn't do any damage. Heh. It was a blast. I went inside and changed to dry clothes, and then sat on the deck with Matt, his dogs, and his mom. It was a lovely afternoon. I will load up some pictures of my wounds. The drive back was wonderful, but I don't want to write about it right now. This post has taken a lot of time to write, and it is almost 10:00. I need to unpack and get ready for work tomorrow.

I need to post a video. It was a song I loaded onto my Ipod for the trip. There were three that I wanted to load, but I think this one represents how I feel. The "hair" in the suitcase line reminded me of someone (even though it was just a simple little surprise), and the few days I was gone seemed to feel like a month (another line). I had a great time with Matt, and I'm glad it lasted that long. Oh I was also bummed my phone died so I couldn't talk to that someone on the ride home. Here it is; pending I can find a video on YouTube of it. Found it! Other two I wanted to post were July for Kings, "Blue Eyes" or Ben Folds, "The Luckiest."






This is Dave Melillo, "Sam's Song." :)


Here are the pictures I promised. The first one is my wonderful pink tan, and the second is my knee. Sorry if it grosses anyone out, but it really doesn't hurt at all.



No comments: