Tuesday, September 9, 2008

promising to be here when the world comes down

I am thoroughly exhausted. I just want to keel over and sleep. Today was a long day. I didn't get done coaching until 8:00. I'll have to say my nap this afternoon was an accident.

Jen called me right as I got into bed. It sounds like she had a good time in LA. I'm glad to hear that. I will probably talk to her later this week. This week is really super busy for me. We have "Picture Day" tomorrow and another game on Thursday.

I also scheduled a meeting with my career adviser so I can begin a job search. That reminds me I need to print my resume. It is all shiny though. I also have my Dental School Application finished. Just have to pay the man now.

The game tonight was good and bad. The kids just gave up a few big plays and that was the difference in the game (we lost 22-12). Other than those three plays the defense was good, and the offense was much more consistent than I anticipated. I have a laundry list of things that we need to work on. I'm going to highlight the positive things too. I think that is important. We could have won the game tonight.

One thing that kind of upset me was coach was trying to shuffle kids in at the last minute that didn't get in. I don't think it is appropriate. We have another game on Thursday that they will play in. For the kids they just get to go in and stand there while the other team takes a knee. I don't think it makes them feel any better. Maybe it does. I just assume play them the whole game Thursday and tell them that they can show us something if they want to get in the next game.

I made some mistakes today too. One kid got injured and wasn't sure if he was ready to play. I told him if he was injured to sit down. The other coach wasn't pleased because we don't want to be teaching kids to be injured. That is fine and I respect that. I apologized to him after the game. Personally I don't think an injured kid should play. The kid was fine and got back in after walking it off. I overreacted. I guess if the kid is really hurt he will be on the ground. I'm still learning just like the kids are. I think that is a wonderful thing.

I am having Diet Mountain Dew and Chips for dinner. Not so healthy but it is around nine and I am not cooking. I have some stuff to get done for tomorrow.

No comments: